From:
Jonathan Nagler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jonathan Nagler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:49:48 -0400
Jake,

This is one reason download statistics exist.

If you write a package and it is downloaded a million times,
either there is fraud, or we think you provided something of
value.

cheers,

-jonathan

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Jake Bowers wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Two points and a question:
>
> (1) The package by Michael looks great!
>
> (1 a) Notice that those of us not pointing directly to cran.r-
> project.org should install it with:
>
> install.packages("apsrtable", type="source",repos="http://cran.r-project.org
> ")
>
> (2) I'm just writing now because I've heard (today) from David Dahl,
> author of the xtable package, that version 1.5-3 of xtable no longer
> has the conflict with dcolumn alluded to below (the problem of "$-$").
> This version was submitted to CRAN today and should propagate over the
> next few days. xtable itself has a nice API for those of us writing
> software (i.e. who want to format the output of our non-linear model
> procedures for latex).
>
> (3) Here is a question: for those people who write statistical
> software, we get credit for our work when people cite the papers that
> we write to justify and develop the ideas behind the software, and
> also credit when people type:
>
> citation("apsrtable")
>
> and get a nice BibTeX formatted entry for citation.
>
> For the great work Michael has done, however, how should he receive
> credit? Should I add a cite to my papers saying: "These tables were
> produced using the \texttt{apsrtable} software \citep{Malecki:2008}" I
> don't really see folks citing Knuth (et. the many many al) for LaTeX
> let alone Gates for Word. Yet these tools of our production are quite
> important. I do try to cite the R Core Team in my own work when I can.
> But, I don't tend to cite the authors of all of the great latex
> packages that enable me to do my work. Thoughts?
>
> Jake
>
> Jake Bowers
> Assistant Professor Dept of Political Science
> Research Scientist, National Center for Supercomputer Applications
> University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
> http://www.umich.edu/~jwbowers
>

> On Aug 22, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Michael Malecki wrote:
>
> > Polmeth --
> >
> > I'd like to announce an R package that automates the tedious process
> > of making paper- and presentation-ready tables from R fitted model
> > objects. In particular, apsrtable() formats latex tables from one or
> > more model objects side-by-side with standard errors below and in
> > parentheses, not unlike tables found in such journals as the
> > American Political Science Review --hence the name.
> >
> > http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/apsrtable/index.html
> > R> install.packages("apsrtable", type="source")
> >
> > I welcome error reports, improvements, contributions, etc.
> >
> > apsrtable accepts lm and glm objects with either the standard or
> > user-supplied variance-covariance matrix, placing standard errors
> > below coefficients and in parentheses; it adorns estimates with
> > either one or multiple glittering stars and other symbols; and uses
> > dcolumn to align output, with the pleasant side effect of math-mode
> [...]

Department of Politics				Voice (o): 212 992-9676
19 West 4th Street - 2nd floor 			Fax:       208-979-2926
New York University				http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jn23/
New York, NY 10012-1119