From:
Raymond Duch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 21:27:55 +0100

Simon Jackman, Lynn Vavreck and I write to invite you to participate in a multiple-wave panel study of the upcoming elections in the UK. During 2008-2010, a number of political scientists based in the UK, the EU, and the US will come together to create an important new resource for the study of British and comparative elections. The British Cooperative Campaign Analysis Project (B/CCAP) is planned to be a multiple-wave panel study of approximately 5,000-10,000 respondents. The sample will be representative of voters in the UK. Those who participate in the project will determine other specific elements of the sampling design.  Every team that participates will receive data on 1000 respondents interviewed in the baseline, the post-election wave, and at least one campaign wave of the survey for 10,000 £.  Each participating team will have approximately 40 questions reserved for them on one of the campaign wave surveys (additional waves can be purchased at extra cost).

B/CCAP is an internet panel survey conducted by YouGov.  The B/CCAP will conduct a baseline in October of 2008. Subsequent panel waves will take place every six months until the Prime Minister calls the election. Once the formal campaign begins, a pre-campaign wave will be done in the 4 weeks before the election. The sample for this campaign wave will be rolled out in daily replicates with the goal that each day will consist of an independent sample. Immediately after the election, a final post-election wave will be conducted.  Approximately 10,000 respondents will be interviewed in the 2008 baseline.

The project's goal is to advance our understanding of how formal and informal campaigns reach citizens, how citizens consume and react to them, and what role campaigns play in the presence of strong structural forces such as the economy and party identification. B/CCAP is part of a trio of projects fielded this fall in three English-speaking countries around the world. The aim of these projects is to connect and compare attitudes about globalization, health care, the world economy, and security threats to political parties and candidates. The projects are being conducted in the UK (B/CCAP), the US (CCAP), and Australia (A/CAP).   If you are interested in participating in British CCAP, you should let one of us know by November 15th: Ray Duch ([log in to unmask]), Simon Jackman (([log in to unmask])) or Lynn Vavreck ([log in to unmask]).  A complete description of the project is available upon request.  We will also provide information about the British CCAP at the U.S. CCAP meeting at the APSA on Friday, August 29th at 6:15PM in the NANTUCKET ROOM of the Marriott Hotel.  Please do not hesitate to contact me with questions at [log in to unmask] or call me at 44 7 760 167 008.

Ray Duch