From:
Paul Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:02:44 -0500
Jim Battista wrote:
> Maybe it's just that my search-fu is weak, but I was surprised to be
> unable to locate any polmeth threads about what to assign as a
> baby-stats textbook for grad students.
>
> So... I'm asking.
>
> I've been using Wonnacott^2, for not much in the way of good reasons.  I
> do like that they have a good attitude about things like .05
> significance.  But... it hasn't been updated since 1990, and there are
> constant references to using Minitab to solve your problems.  So I'm
> looking to change before next fall.
>
> I might also note that hereabouts, this is a first semester course and
> the incoming students need a bit of hand-holding and confidence-building
> to get them started.
>
> I've received a local recommendation of Gurarati's Essentials.
>
> So what do you use, and why?

For the intro stats, I adopted Verzani's Using R for Introductory
Statistics.  I was pretty happy with it. The stat concepts are treated
pretty well with only a smidge of math.  I've come around to the idea
that is better to teach them things that they can actually do--and read
code for if needed--rather than show them lots of theory for models that
they can't estimate unless they buy a particular specialized package.

I've been working on some supplementary computing math and other info,
you can feel free to tell your kids to use whatever they need from this:

http://pj.freefaculty.org/stat

I'd in particular draw their attention to the things on Regression, the
directory called "Distributions" and the always improving draft of my
manuscript Stuff Worth Knowing (and not much else)
http://pj.freefaculty.org/stat/StuffWorthKnowing.pdf.  When it is
eventually perfected, I expect my chapter "Executive Summary of
Calculus" to be a prize winner.  Now it is only bronze medal :)

Good luck

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson                       email: [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Political Science            http://pj.freefaculty.org