From:
Heiko Giebler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 16:32:03 +0200
Dear POLMETH list,

together with a number of colleagues I’m working on a project to measure the
quality of democracy relying on macro data, aggregated data and expert
assessments. Based on our multi-dimensional concept of democracy we’ve
collected a large number of indicators which were assigned on theoretical
ground to one of the dimensions.

Now I’m trying to test the validity of the measurement as well as the
existence of our theoretically defined dimensionality and causal
relationships in the ‘real world’-data. It seems to me that there is not
much literature on how to do this if one is not dealing with micro-level and
or survey data but with cross-national time-series data…

Does anyone of you have any experience with such a validation process and or
some advice on useful literature or analyzing tools? Is MTMM matrices an
acceptable solution? Are there other broadly discussed approaches?

Thanks for your help!

Heiko

---

Heiko Giebler
Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung (WZB) gGmbH
Abteilung DSL
Reichpietschufer 50
10785  Berlin
Germany

Tel.:         +49 - 30 - 25491 - 329
Mail:          <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]