From:
"Franzese, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:20:37 -0400
Serendipitously, I was just looking for the same or very similar sort of
discussion just yesterday...

First a bit of truly shameless (and shameful!) self-promotion: Jude Hays
& I had a little (HIGHLY preliminary) monte carlo on mis-specification
of W (you say M, we've always seen W used--tomayto, tomahto--but you
mean the matrix of connectivity weights, yes?)... It's on pages 100-105
here (copied from some of our very earliest papers on spatial models):
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~franzese/FranzeseHays.DraftOutlineToC.Spa
tialEconometricModelsInterdependence.pdf

With the obligatory self-promotion now out of the way, what you really
seem to want is a good discussion of the issues &, maybe, some recent
thoughts on how to help avoid some of the problems that may attend such
mis-specification. Here's one (of many, no doubt) recent better place to
start:
Constructing the Spatial Weights Matrix Using a Local Statistic.
A Getis, J Aldstadt - Geographical Analysis, 2004
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/geographical_analysis/v036/36.2getis.pdf

There were also at least two papers on the matter, or related, in last
year's conference of the spatial econometric association:
Specification of Spatial Models: Analysis, Comparisons, Suggestions
Stanislav Stakhovych & Tammo H.A. Bijmolt
http://fp.paceprojects.f9.co.uk/Stakhovych.pdf

Taking off some hoods: estimating spatial models with a non-arbitary W
matrix
Esteban Fernandez-Vazquez & Jorge Rodriguez-Valez
http://fp.paceprojects.f9.co.uk/Vazquez.pdf
(The title is a nod to one of Anselin's well-cited reviews.)

Hope this helps,
Rob

*
Robert (Rob) J. Franzese, Jr.                  US Mail:   (Room 4246
ISR)
Associate Professor,                                        P.O. Box
1248
Department of Political Science,                 Ann Arbor, MI
48106-1248
and Research Associate Professor,             (Currier: 426 Thompson
St.)
Center for Political Studies,                  e-mail:
Institute for Social Research,                     office:
1-734-936-1850
The University of Michigan                            fax:
1-734-764-3341